Sunday, April 20, 2008

And another thing...

If you're ever in a position to have your apartment be the show apartment for your complex, do not (DO NOT) volunteer. They reel you in saying, "It'll be so great! You'll save $50 a month on your rent! Think about how much you'll save over the year!" But then you get into it and realize that you can't leave your apartment until your bed is made and your clothes are put away and the kitchen is clean and your dishes are put away and your bathroom must not, under any circumstances, smell like anything but fresh cut roses. So you're late a lot because you never actually calculate the time it takes to do that into your "getting ready" time in the morning. And also, when you have a beautiful Sunday afternoon planned of lying on your unmade bed watching Juno and eating dark chocolate that you bought yesterday while icing your hip flexors, they call and say, "Hi this is Taya from the front office. I just wanted to let you know that we're coming to show your apartment." And you have to smile and say, "Ok, come on over." But in your head, you're like, "Oh crap (I don't know why I'm censoring myself in my blog because I thought another word in my head for sure), my bed is unmade and there are ice bags on the floor and the kitchen is messy from breakfast and my clothes haven't been hung up and I can't walk properly at the moment."

Seriously? Sunday afternoon? Who looks for apartments on a Sunday afternoon?

3 comments:

learnsomethingeveryday said...

Thats how selling a house feels like. When I was Angola, every time I left the house I had a checklist in my head of all the stuff I had to do. Make my bed, hide dirty clothes, put everything on my bathroom counter under the sink....windex EVERYTHING. Every bathroom and the kitchen have their own bottle of windex because my mom uses windex on everything to make it shine. Also, if someone did call to see the house, I would have to take the cat, the dog, all of their food bowls, and the cat box in my car and go hang out in a parking lot somewhere for an hour with two very unhappy animals. It's madness.

learnsomethingeveryday said...

P.S. I like reading your blog. It makes me feel like we don't live miles apart. Keep it up.

fromthelandoficeandsnow said...

I'm glad. Your blog is so intelligent and interesting. I LEARN things when I read yours, and I love that too, so you keep it up too. I'm glad you read mine.