Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Coffee and Democracy

I drank coffee this morning, which I used to do a lot but haven't done much recently, and it completely threw me off. I feel very tired but jittery at the same time. I'll definitely have to get over this before starting to work at sbux again.

But I'm reading this book called Democracy Matters by Cornell West, and it's dense and takes a day to read 2 chapters, but it's incredible. I think meeting this man would be intimidating because even his writing is intimidating, but I think I'd like to know where he came from, at least. He writes about how America is not and perhaps never has been a democracy, not just because of the semantics of the definition but because people, especially the powers that be, white upper class men, refuse to admit that the country was built upon racism and genocide. He's pretty blunt about the current administration, which is interesting because this was published in 2004, when it was less popular to be openly against Bush and his cronies. I just wonder what he thinks of Obama and this current election race. My guess is that he thinks Obama might be ok but the race is so stupid that it's making him and everything he stands for lose a little bit of credibility. Or maybe that's just what I think.

I highly recommend you read this book, and then we can start a revolution together. Cool?

1 comment:

learnsomethingeveryday said...

I find Cornel West interesting. He definitely takes kind of a militant view on how to combat racism. I saw a documentary about him. It was really interesting because it talked about his struggle to represent black culture and take a stand for black people but at the same time, many blacks fail to relate to him. He has spent his life strattling the line between white society and black society; trying to bring the two together without disrupting the unique nature of black culture. He definitely wants whites to admit this country's racist ways. But sometimes is words reflect a refusal to compromise in order to work toward a greater good for both whites and blacks.