Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Oh, Dad

http://www.wsbtradio.com/includes/news_items/news_items_more.php?section_id=7&id=2650

The above link leads to an interview with my dad about his living in China and how he's carrying the Olympic torch through the part of China where he lives. My dad is a pretty cool cat.

However.

I love my dad so much. I know he loves me too. But the barbs about not rowing anymore are getting old. The one he says in the radio interview isn't even said with the assumption that I'll hear it. He's basically just bad-talking me on the radio. Not as cool, Dad. He's a pretty intense guy, hence the dad complex. He'll probably never get over this. I don't know his true feelings about it. Maybe he feels betrayed. Maybe he's ashamed of me because he thinks I'm a quitter. Maybe he's projecting a little bit of his disappointment of his own lost chance onto me. He fails to recognize that I'm increasingly happy about my decision to forgo rowing as the main thing in my life and love teaching more every time I do it. I don't know if he'll ever see that or if he cares to see that.

But anyway, the interview is cool, and he's interesting and has done interesting things. Way to go, Dad, I guess.

2 comments:

learnsomethingeveryday said...

Have you really talked to him about how you feel? Say what you said on your blog and say it to his face. Maybe it will make you feel better and maybe he'll really know how his actions effect you.

Sam said...

Plus, you're going to rule as a teacher. You can be an Olympic teacher.

YES!

Love you.