Friday, April 18, 2008

Update! Update! Update!

As it has been commanded, so it shall be. (jk Ashley :)

Tomorrow morning, I will take yet another certification exam to become a teacher. I will take an essay tomorrow morning that will hopefully take about half an hour, so I'll start testing at 8am (but really 8.30 by the time they wait for late people and read all of the stupid directions and tell everyone yet again not to cheat even though it's nearly impossible to cheat on an essay test and if you're resourceful enough to figure out how to do that, you're in the wrong field). My hope is that I'll be home and taking a morning nap by 9.30 at the latest. I would ride my bike, but mine was stolen by a meth addict, so I'll borrow Matt's and will hopefully lock his properly so that it doesn't get stolen as well.

Biking brings up an important thought that's been recurring this week: energy use and being better to the environment. This week, my fellow pro-teachers and I have been giving mini sample lessons to each other instead of taking a final exam in 1 of my 2 classes this semester, which is fine by me. All of the lessons have to be socially conscious because this is a global studies course, so several people did lessons on the environment and how we (and by we I mean middle or high school kids, as these lessons are geared toward them) can do our part. I drive Jeep. I love my Jeep. It allows me to carry my boat around, help people move, carry around lots of groceries since I tend to buy enough for a month all at once so I don't have to go to the store very often, and so on. However, the Jeep drinks gas down like lemonade on a hot day, and I am low on funds, hence the job at Starbucks. As an aside, Starbucks does not pay well, but anything is better than nothing at all, which is what I was earning before. The "but they provide benefits" argument is great if you're planning on working at Starbucks for longer than the summer, which I am not, or if you're not still covered under your father's insurance plan, which I am. Anyway, it is pretty unfortunate that my bike was stolen just recently because I was about to make a resolution that I would drive only to work or to long distance places like airports. I suppose I can borrow Matt's bike, but I think I'll just have to buy a new one for myself.

We'll see. I'll keep you updated on my bike status, as well as the state of my carbon footprint. Maybe I'll switch to "green" cleaning products or change my light bulbs to those spiral ones when these die. I already bought reusable grocery bags. Now I just have to remember to bring them with me to the grocery store when I make my monthly (or bi-monthly (seriously)) trip.

No comments: