Thursday, April 24, 2008

Over-tired?

You know that point when you're so so tired but just can't get to sleep? My mom used to call that point "over tired" when I was little. I don't know if she made up that term or if this is something that other people refer to as well, but basically, it's just the point when you're super tired and all you want to do is sleep but you're thinking too much about sleeping or whatever else is running through your head. I'm hoping that I'm at that point this afternoon, because that would be a great explanation for why I'm in a horrible mood. But I know what the real reason is: working at Starbucks again.

I know. I had been so positive and up-beat about working there again. And really, it's a good job and serves the purpose I'm looking for in a job. But man, it's annoying. Half of them treat me like I'm brand new, so they tell me what to do constantly. Then when I make a mistake, they're right there to make sure I know how to correct it next time. They also don't give 10 minute breaks like they're supposed to do, so I end up standing in the same spot making drinks for 5 hours at a time, except for the occasional trip around the cafe to make sure it's not messy or out of order or anything. This is also a Starbucks with a ton of regulars, and they and the other sbux workers expect me to have learned all of their drinks already, along with their ridiculous interpretation of all of these rules. One of the girls corrected me 3 times this morning for really silly things: "You're supposed to give venti straws with iced grande drinks," "Don't put ice in the iced coffee pitchers before you put the hot iced coffee in it," "Make sure you don't let that shot expire." Really? The straw size makes a difference in a customer's Starbucks experience? Really? You honestly think that when you put ice in the pitcher will make a difference in the outcome of the drink? Really? You think that I would actually give a customer a bitter gross shot of espresso? What kind of person do you think I am?

Anyway, today sucked, but I'm sure the next time I work will be fine and I'll look back at this post and think, "Man, I must've been over-tired that day."

No comments: