Saturday, May 3, 2008

It's 2008. Did you know?

Thanks to Juno, I will never be able to think of the song "All the Young Dudes" by Mott the Hoople in the same way again. I will always associate it with a creepy married guy hitting on a pregnant high school girl. Moving on...

This afternoon, I went on a long walk and talked to my parents and a couple of good friends with whom I have not spoken in a very long time. It was great. I didn't want to run because my throat hurts, but I still wanted to be active somehow, so I walked and talked. For an hour and a half. It went by really freaking fast. I should do that more often. So look forward to that in the future, friends.

As I was walking and talking, however, I was struck by the fact that, as it is 2008, and I graduated in May of 2006, I have now been out of college for 2 full school years. Wow. I know that I'm almost done with grad school and will hopefully get a teaching job within the next few months, but I still feel like I should be in college and it's some cosmic joke that I've had to move on. I really liked IU and the insulated little life I had there. I guess that's why moving on was so necessary. I really had no idea what was going on in the world while living in the IU bubble. I don't think anyone really tells us how difficult the post-college transition period is on purpose because then we'd all just stay in college. I would. I like going to class, getting a new schedule every semester, figuring out a new routine every few months, having well scheduled breaks, and being around lots and lots of cool people. Which makes sense. Sounds like a pretty good life to me. I suppose after a while, it would get old and need to end.

Still. I can't believe it's already May. I need to get my resume out to all of the schools in this county ASAP. growl.

No comments: