Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Walking

It's hot in Florida.

Not much of a newsflash, I know, but there it is. But I've really been enjoying walking recently. I love running, but I've had this cold that won't go away for almost a week now, and I figure I should let myself get better before I start running again. To remedy this lack of exercise, I've been walking for like an hour and a half or more at a time, mainly since I have tons of time right now. (Blessing and a curse, but we'll stick with the blessing side for right now.)

So I've been walking, and since it's hot out, if I'm walking toward a destination, I am all sweaty by the time I get there. I figure people are probably used to it, so I just try to make sure I smell good before I leave and hope that I'll just be neutral by the time I get there, rather than starting neutral and ending up smelling bad. I think that makes sense.

During my walks, I tend to either call someone or just happen to get phone calls that I don't need to shorten because I'm walking. Today, Matt called. He was on the way to my house in Granger (because he's at home at his parents' house in Indiana, so it's only an hour drive to my house from there) to have a conversation with my parents. Traditionally, it's the kind of conversation that a guy has with a girl's father, but my mom was home from school today, so the three of them had a nice talk on the back porch. I think it went well.

Basically, all I've been doing the past few days, with all of my free time, is thinking about the future. I've been thinking about weddings and jobs and homes and time lines, and then I get exhausted and take a nap. That's partially from this cold that won't go away, but I also blame it on the future-thinking.

Today, on my walk, I was so distracted by thinking about what could be going on on my back porch in Indiana over 1000 miles away that I completely forgot that I had planned to walk to the post office to buy stamps, and I walked to another store and bought some shoes. My mind is all fuzzy. But I love the shoes, and the girls in the store didn't seem to mind that I was sweaty from walking.

1 comment:

learnsomethingeveryday said...

You can never go wrong with shoes.