Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Oh, Adolescence...

Today, in Adolescent Psych class, we reminisced on our own adolescent experiences. It's interesting to think back on that time in a more psychological way and wonder if hormones are the reason for the fights I had with my parents, sister, friends, etc. I really don't think so. I mean, yes, of course, there are important developments going on during adolescence, but that development affects your personality. Even as an adolescent, you're a person with a personality. Sometimes psychology forgets that the people being studied are human beings.

But it is interesting to see statistics and all of that.

So another thing that's been weighing on me recently are body image issues. Why? Why do I or does anyone have body image issues? I mean, I know that there are the big reasons like societal pressures and need for acceptance, self-confidence issues, need for control, and so on. But individually, why do I, why might you, have body image issues? It doesn't make any sense, to be honest. Not that I have a perfect body or will ever have that, but why do I want it in the first place? Does this mean that I'm not satisfied with my life and what I have? Are you satisfied? I just want to know where this comes from and how I can make it go away.

The point is, body image issues are ridiculous and unnecessary. The person having the issues is not ridiculous or unnecessary, but this thought process doesn't make any sense. You're good, I'm good, so let's stop this. Is it that easy? Probably not. But isn't making the decision to try a great step forward, at the very least?

No comments: