Wednesday, May 7, 2008

It's late

I should be tired. I was really tired at 8pm, but now I can't sleep. That makes no sense to me. I guess there's a lot on my mind.

Some of the stupid things on my mind are as follows:

I'm really annoyed by cliches people use in everyday speech. One is the phrase "for the record." This is currently my facebook status also, so I'm being redundant, but obviously I'm very passionate about this particular cliche... Anyway, of which record, are you referring, conversant? Do you think someone is secretly recording everything you say so that at some point, this particular thing that you are saying that you think is especially poignant will be especially noted? Do you think that things can also be stricken from said record, like in a court room? They can't. No one is probably paying attention to what you're saying if you have to say "for the record" anyway, so no one is going to remember that you wanted it recorded. Except for me. But I'll forget it on purpose because you began your point with, "For the record..."

I dislike, almost to the point of hatred, the phrase "living it up," as in, "It's my senior year, and I'm just living it up!" You are doing no such thing. You are probably lame and not doing much living at all. Stop saying that.

I think it's kind funny that the joke, "I like long walks on the beach," has become a cliche now, too. It started as a legitimate thing to like. Then a lot of people started saying it to attract people of the opposite sex, mainly guys trying to attract girls who would think they were sensitive guys who would not, under any circumstance, try to take advantage of them on these particular long walks. Then it became a cliche, and then it became a joke that insensitive people or high school boys started to say in reference to the cliche. And now the joke is a cliche, too. Have you ever heard someone honestly say that they like long walks on the beach, not in a situation in which they were introducing themselves to a large group of people and trying to make a joke? Maybe I'm taking this one a little too far, but I found that pretty funny.

So for those of you I've offended with my ridiculous midnight opinions, I sincerely apologize. I hope you continue enjoying living it up. And for the record, I'm sure you truly do love long walks on the beach.

1 comment:

Jamie Hergott said...

i agree!! I do honestly very much enjoy long walks on the beach.

but now...thanks to society...everytime i say that, i sound like a tool.